Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day Eight

DOSE: 40 mg Baclofen (10/10/10/10).

OTHER MEDICATION(S): Multivitamin (1 tablet). Omega 3 Fish Oil (1 capsule).

SIDE EFFECTS: Slight mood changes; decreased alcohol cravings.

Another positive day today. I have been increasing the dosage slightly more quickly than I had originally planned, but as of yet I haven't noticed any tough negative side effects. The somnolence has completely gone away, and I've only noticed occasional mood swings and some infrequent headaches. It's well worth it because even at such a relatively low dose, I am not having many alcohol cravings. I really do need to get involved in some volunteer work or something, because I need to fill my days a bit more. Tomorrow I'll be starting my outpatient program, and I'm hoping to make some sober friends through those meetings. I still haven't attended an AA meeting, but it hasn't been an issue yet. I've just been to so many meetings, for so long now, that I am almost repulsed by the idea of returning. Realistically, though, shame and embarrassment is definitely playing a role in my reluctance to return. Ultimately, I just need to join in on some sober leisure activities like sports teams or hiking, etc. The 40 mg dose will have to carry out for at least four days, because I need to have enough to last until my next refill. Oh, one other thing I've noticed in terms of side effects is that I've been finding myself waking up with a slight headache around 7 a.m. and finding it difficult to fall back asleep. I usually take my last dose around 10:30 p.m., so perhaps my body is reacting to the fact that it doesn't have any baclofen coursing through its system. However the positive effects far outweigh any negative consequences to this point, and I'm very pleased with the results. In terms of past anti-craving medications, I've taken Wellbutrin, Campral, Naltrexone and Antabuse, none of which had any real noticeable impact. Wellbutrin helped some, at least with my depression, but other than that not really.

All in all, I'm really optimistic about baclofen. I'm a little nervous that I may be developing a tolerance too quickly, and that the generic form of the drug may be less powerful than the brand name version. However, I think I'm just reading too much into little details. I'm still happily sober, and that's all that matters! Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment